Patrick Higgins Tournament 2013

Sorry Folks, really late with this report.

Saturday the 8th of June 2013, seen the annual Patrick Higgins Memorial Tournament take place. As with most of the previous 11 years we were fortunate to have yet another lovely day of weather which encouraged yet another big crowd on the day. Having witnessed such a high standard in previous years it was hard to see another year of equal or better standards but thats exactly what we got.

As usual, we had a strong turn out from the local south Derry teams including Castledawson, Greenlough, Lissan, Magherafelt, Moneymore, Newbridge and ourselves of course.

With the mini leagues set up and running it wasn’t long before favourites for the day started to appear. In group 1 the teams were Castledawson, Newbridge, Moneymore and ourselves and although it was a very tight league the team showing real aspirations for the day were in group 2 where Magherafelt were setting all the standards to live up to.

Following a very tight set of games in group 1 it was Moneymore along with the hosts who proceeded to the “A” Shield Semi-Finals. In group 2, early pace setters Magherafelt were joined by Lissan who were now getting into a bit of a winning rhythm also.

As per the previous year the lower placed teams in the groups made up the Semi-Finals for the “B” Shield. Following the “B” semi final it would be Castledawson to play Newbridge in the “B” final.

Back in the “A” section we were again privileged to witness another two games of very high standards between Moneymore and Magherafelt, and Lissan against ourselves. Unfortunately after a gallant effort from the hosts they were pipped at the line and had to watch from the side lines as Lissan and Magherafelt made up the “A” final billing.

With both finalists decided it was the turn of the “B” final first and with a very evenly matched game it was Castledawson who came out on top and lifted the “B” Shield.

Then came the eagerly awaited “A” final between a strong Magherafelt team and a quickly improving Lissan team. Following their comfortable victory earlier int eh day against Lissan in the group stages the final was certainly no repeat of that. Lissan came out determined to make up for the earlier defeat and matched Magherafelt man for man across the pitch. With only a point or two separating them the whole way through the final it was Magherafelt who held their nerve on the day and seen out the final with a one point victory.

Congratulations to all the teams that took part on the day and thanks to all involved in making it yet another massive success.

Photos from the day can be found here.