Under 16's v's Swatragh match report

The under 16?s played their second game on Thursday night away to Swatragh.

Desertmartin 4-16 Swatragh 0-0

After a facile win in their opening game the team were expecting a tough outing against a Swatragh team who had got the better of Magherafelt in their opening game. But a number of factors led to another easy win for our lads Swatragh were minus 3 of their stronger players and our lads put in one of their best performances for some time.

John Hughes had the opening score inside the first minute when he turned his marker to fire over the first point this was followed with two points from Enda McGuckin showing no ill effects from the knock he received against Castledawson. During the early exchanges Swatragh were having great difficulty getting out of their own half as Desertmartin were putting a lot of pressure on their defence. John Hughes had his second point and the teams 4th after about 6 minutes Paul McGovern then got in on the act with a point after 8 minutes. Desertmartin were creating plenty of chances but hit a few wides during this spell Enda McGuckin then added two more points to his tally to put Desertmartin 7 points clear after about 15 minutes. After 18 minutes the move of the match produced the first goal, Gerard McElwee who was having a sound game at the back intercepted a Swatragh pass and played the ball to Cahir Madden he in turn passed to Enda McGuckin who played the ball in to John Hughes he turned his marker brilliantly and fired an unstoppable shot passed the keeper to the net. Enda McGuckin then fired over his 5th point before Paul McGovern caught a free kick turned his marker and fired to the corner of the net. Much to Swatragh?s relief the referee then blew the half time whistle 5 minutes early.

The second half followed much the same pattern as the first John Hughes fired over the opening score of the half which was followed by another point from Sean Fullen just back after his holidays in sunny Enniskillen. Enda O?Hagan then had a fortunate goal when the keeper misjudged a high ball into the square. Paul McGovern then added a point before John Hughes hit his second goal to cap a magnificent performance by him. Enda O?Hagan than added a point followed by another point by Sean Fullen before Enda O?Hagan completed the scoring with two further points. This was a magnificent performance from all 22 players on the panel the defence led by Christopher between the sticks were outstanding the full back line of Cathal, Paul and Gerard were very solid in front of them Paddy flanked by Connor and Ryan thwarted Swatragh throughout Cahir and Gregory despite not getting on the score sheet were very solid with Cahir?s fielding being particularly impressive. The half forward line of Fearghal, Enda O?Hagan and Joey worked tirelessly all night. The full Forward line of Enda Mcguckan, John and wee Paul hit 3-11 between them to add to the 5-9 in the previous game with John in particular having his best game for some time. Substitutes Sean Fullen, Paul, Sean McStravock, Paddy, Mark, Matt and Danny all played their part after coming on.

Whilst pleased with their performance the team know that tougher challenges lie ahead starting with Magherafelt on Thursday night.

1. C Bradley
2. C Brown
3. P Kidd
4. G McElwee
5. R Murray
6. P O?Neill
7. C Monaghan (C )
8. G McGovern
9. C Madden
10. F Higgins
11. E O?Hagan (1-3)
12. J Leyden
13. E McGuckan (0-6)
14. J Hughes (2-3)
15. P McGovern (1-2)

S Fullen (0-2)
P McFlynn
S McStravock
P Trainor
M Murchan
M Connery
D Hegarty

Man Of The match: John Hughes