Seniors claim first win of season

Following the opening day draw against Faughanvale the seniors hosted Ballymaguigan today. With the loughshore men coming down a division this season they were firm favourites to add to the 2 points they claimed against Claudy in their opening game of the campaign.

Following a lively opening 10 minutes the visitors found themselves 3 point to 1 up against a stiff breeze but they were getting things far from their own way and with the pace in the martin's forwards it was setting up for an interesting game.

Trailing 3 points to one the martins then hit a purple patch which say them finish the half on a real high scoring 4 points unanswered to take a 5 points to 3 interval lead.

Playing the second half against the breeze, the home side needed a bright start and so was the case with the martins adding a further 3 points to their half time score to lead 8 points to 3 after 15 minutes of the second half. The guigan then opened their second half account through a pointed free only for the home side to cancel it out straight away.

Leading 9 points to 4, this point was to be the last the martins scored during the game, queue the comeback. Following a couple of points from the visitors taking the score back to 9 points to 6 the guigan appeared to have been gifted the life line they needed with 5 minutes remaining when the ref pointed to the spot to award a penalty. Up stepped Gary Coleman, only to see his effort rattle off the crossbar and come back into play, only for the martin's to clear. Was this going to be our day!

A further two points from the guigan saw them come to within a point going into the third minute of added time. In the dying minutes a free 14 years out appeared to gift the visitors the chance to draw level and get something out of the game but a poor kick saw the shot drop short and cleared by the home side.

A further couple of tense minutes followed but the martin's held strong and recorded a deserved 1 point victory.