Under 12's beaten by a point in league final

Desertmartin 1-7 Ballinascreen 2-5

In South Derry Youth Competitions this year Lavey finished top of the Under 14 B League and were crowned League Champions, Ballinderry finished top of the Under 14 A League and were crowned league champions, Ballinderry finished top of the Under 16 A league and were crowned league champions, Glen finished top of the under 16 B league and were crowned league champions and Lavey finished top of the Minor league and were crowned league champions.

Desertmartin finished top of the under 12 B league with an unbeaten record but had to play off with Ballinascreen who had lost one game and drew one game for the league title. Can someone from the South Derry board explain this to all our under 12 players after this heartbreaking defeat in the most cruel of circumstances. The Board decided that they needed to scrap the under 12 championships yet in their wisdom decided that they needed a playoff for the league title.

That wasn?t the only factor which left this supporter with a bitter taste, in 2003 Desertmartin met Ballymaguigan in an under 12 final at Lavey at the end of each half of that game Ciaran Burns was about to shoot for a score but the referee blew up for half time and full time without allowing the shot to be taken Desertmartin lost that game by a point. It was a case of De ja Vu
On Thursday night when Maurice Corrigan blew for full time with Connor Murray in the process of shooting the equalizing point. This was just one of a number of baffling decisions made by the referee throughout the game.

The game started with Desertmartin attacking from the throw in and Gavin McGreevy giving them the perfect start with the opening point inside the first minute. The team then had a let off as Ballinascreen in their first attack got in on goal but Garry McGuigan made a fine save. Ballinascreen eventually got of the mark when their full forward hit the equalizing score from a free. After 5 minutes Mark Fullen restored the Desertmartin lead with a pointed free. Ballinascreen hit back almost immediately with number 8 scoring their second point.

Desertmartin were beginning to get on top at this stage but 2 Mark Fullen points were all they could add, Ballinascreen replied with 2 points to tie up the scores with 3 minutes left to the half. Mark Kidd then gave Desertmartin a big lift with a forty metre run and shooting low to the net. Ballinascreen finished the half the stronger and they got a big boost in the 22nd minute of the half with their first goal.

Half Time Desertmartin 1-4 Ballinascreen 1-4

Buoyed by that Goal Ballinascreen began the second half well and they hit a second goal and a point to lead by four they also were awarded a penalty after 8 minutes when the forward clearly over carried. Justice was done however when the penalty was missed and Desertmartin then took over Dermot Breen and Darren Madden hit points in the 10th and 11th minutes to leave only 2 between them. Desertmartin continued to dominate but scores were proving hard to get Mark Kidd then brought the minimum between the teams with a point before Connors effort was not allowed and Desertmartin lost out by a point.

All of the players however can hold their heads high they have given every one in the club a huge lift despite the result, the spirit and effort they displayed throughout the year and
especially during the last 10 minutes should be an inspiration to all teams in the club.

Team photos HERE

Team and scorers
Gary McGuigan
Hayden Murray
Luke McBride
Jack Grant
Ciaron Fullen
Dermot Breen (0-1)
Harry Mullholland
Dermot McGuigan
Connor Murray
Darren Madden (0-1)
Mark Kidd (1-1)
Gavin McGreevy (0-1)
Ronan McGuckan
Mark Fullen (0-3)
Paddy Devlin

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply